1 Kings 17:1–7
The 1 Kings text is about identity not resources. Resources are God’s tool to remind us of our most sacred and foundational identity
1. We are worshippers
2. Our best, fullest, most joyful life is found following God
3. When we follow God, He will provide for us
What is God’s plan for the resources?
What you’re expecting to hear: God needs your money.
1. Your money is not your own, it's God’s money on loan to you
2. God doesn’t need your money to advance His kingdom
3. God welcomes us to participate in His kingdom building
Application: The thermometer and thermostat analogy: A thermometer just tells temperature but can't change it. A thermostat can change temperature. So in money and spirituality, money is a thermometer that shows us what we believe about God's grace, and a thermostat, when we use money can change our hearts towards Him.
How can we respond to Christ with our resources?
1. Receive the Lord’s grace. Receive your new identity. Receive the cross of Jesus
2. Repent of worldliness. Repent of selfishly holding onto your kingdom.
"And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” -Luke 12:15
True repentance is far less taxing that false repentance.
True repentance gladly turns away from false idols for the true living water
3. Seek opportunities out to give your resources for God’s kingdom
If you have more finance related questions or are seeking financial counseling or training, please email email@example.com.