Matthew 6:25–34, Matthew 10:19–20, Jeremiah 17:1-9
Intro: What is anxiety?
- Worry is what we do (action verb). Anxiety is what is created (noun: excessive uneasiness)
How do we cope with anxiety?
- Jesus commands us not to be anxious (Matthew 6, 10)
Sin is engraved on our heart (Jeremiah 17:1-2)
Sin causes serious damages in our life (Jeremiah 17:3-4)
Living alone and without God will lead to death (Jeremiah 17:5-6)
God offers us a new life in Christ (Jeremiah 17:7-8)
Our heart is deceitful and can trick us (Jeremiah 17:9)
God is for us and gives us a new heart (Jeremiah 31, Romans 8:31-32)
Might also include the application points at the end of the manuscript
1. Go to the Lord first with your anxiety (Prayer of admission, journaling, seeking)
2. Seek out God’s Word for truth and promise of His goodness
3. Seek out wise friends for godliness and perspective
- Prov 12:25 "Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up."
- Two wrong friend responses
- Just get over it. It’s not a big deal. You shouldn’t worry about that.
- Phil 4:6 says be anxious about nothing, so pray that verse and stop worrying.
- One rationalizes, one spiritualizes, neither helps.
- Three right responses
- I’m sorry this anxiety is weighing on you.
- Can you tell me what your greatest fear is in this circumstance?
- What is God doing through this trial?
4. Meet with a counselor/therapist to help with coping strategies when you feel stuck/debhilitated.
5. Pray to Jesus, he can sympathize with your weakness and suffering.
6. Ask the Spirit to help you.
- Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.
"Worry is what you do, anxiety is what we have."
"If we want to deal with anxiety, we have to go to the heart."
"Unless we deal with the root cause, we will continue to suffer anxiety and stress, we will continue to be bound, and that's not what God wants from you."
"Sometimes we have to believe things in scripture, that Jesus commands that the world says doesn't make sense."
"It's my hope, that our root system and our source of energy would not be just in what we can do for God, but what God as done for us. That we would put our roots in the right places, in Christ."
"Maybe the anxiety is God working us over and showing us these are not good things to pursue."
"Here's what I know is true, God wants to restore your heart."
"God's intent is for you to live in faith, not fear."
What area of your life causes you the most trepidation and continued anxiety?
How do you typically deal with anxiety?
What is God teaching you through the trial of anxiety?
How does knowing Christ help you in your anxiety?
Peace Be Still