Intellectual problem vs. emotional problem
Intellectual: How can God be good and powerful, and yet evil continue?
Emotional: Why has God allowed me to experience suffering and evil presently?
Logical problem of Evil
1. If God is all powerful, He can prevent and end evil
2. If God is good,He desires to do this
3. Evil and suffering continue
4. God is not able to prevent evil, or God is not good
Why does evil exist at all? Matthew 13:24–30
God’s powerful use of evil:
- God tests servants (Job, Peter)
- Disciplines us (Hebrews 12:7-11)
- Preserves us (Genesis 50:20)
- Joseph sold into slavery by his brothers because of bitterness and jealousy, he becomes a great leader in Egpyt to save many thousands of lives and deliver spiritual healing and social justice to the world
- Teaches us patience and perseverance (James 1)
- Redirects our attention to what is most important (Ps 37)
- Helps us comfort others (2 Cor 1)
- Lets us witness powerfully to the truth (Acts 7)
- Gives us greater joy when suffering replaced by glory (2Peter)
Our response to evil and suffering 1 Peter 1:6–9
Jesus deals with the moral problem of evil in His death
Romans 5:18–19 "Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one
act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men. For as by the one
man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the
many will be made righteous."
Jesus deals with the emotional problem of evil in His suffering
- My God, my God why have you forsaken me?
- Christianity does not provide every reason for every instance of evil suffering and pain But in Jesus we find the hope and friendship of God in the midst of these things
Jesus resolves the entire problem of evil in His resurrection and return
“We do not know how much of the pleasures even of life we owe to the intermingled
sorrows. Joy [alone] cannot unfold the deepest truths, although deepest truth must be the
deepest joy.” -George MacDonald
"If God sows (creates) good things, how do weeds (evil and suffering) exist?" -- Matthew 13:24-30
"Evil continues because God plans to do something from it."
"We don't just celebrate Easter, we remember Good Friday."